Sometimes the same old wall decorations just won’t cut it.
Enter canvas painting ideas and wall art. Yup. Homemade wall art can be a great way to decorate just about any apartment, home, bedroom, dorm room, living room…you name it, chances are it’ll look great with some wall art you made yourself!
The great thing about easy painting ideas is that they don’t cost you a ton of money, they’re actually fun + relaxing to make, and can be re-used and repainted over and over and over again.
Seriously? yeah, seriously. Here’s a quick list of affordable supplies to help you started:
Table of Contents
DIY Painting Supplies
Acrylic Paint Set
Paint Brush Set
A great way to save money on canvas (because they can get a bit pricey) is to just use some white paint over it when you get bored of your previous creation. Once it’s dry, you’re ready to paint something fresh and new. Pretty simple, right?
Now, what exactly can you paint on a blank canvas that can go great with that living room/bedroom/home office decor scheme you’ve worked so hard to put together?
For that, let’s look at a few (more like a TON) of good examples.
DIY Photo Transfer Art
Via Persia Lou
Photo transfer art might seem too fancy and complicated to even try when you first see it. If you look at this cactus beauty you can’t help but feel a little intimidated. But it turns out it can actually be pretty practical to create, and you don’t even need lots of fancy materials to come up with wall art that’ll only look like it cost you a million bucks.
Simple Canvas Painting
DIY Watercolor Canvas Art
This is a pretty easy painting idea. The colors bring it all together and the triangular pieces fit nicely. Optimistic mommy teaches you how to put it together and create a stunning masterpiece worthy of admiration you can hang in just about any place in your house.
DIY Canvas Painting Idea With A Message
Your wall art doesn’t have to only be abstract. It can also include your favorite quotes, words, or sayings in them. A combination of pastel colors is always a great idea no matter what you’re decorating. You can score the directions on how exactly to make this nifty piece of wall art over at A Side Of Sweet!
Ink Art Projects
DIY Flower Print Canvas
Flower prints are timeless and never go out of style. They’re used over and over again in things like furniture, houseware, and even this diy canvas art idea. Try it and see what awesome creation of your own you can come up with!
Easy DIY Wall Art Painted Canvas
This gorgeous canvas DIY idea by Birds Party is a must-make at home project. I mean look at all those colors and how well they go together. Now, before you get too intimated by the project, head over to the blog to learn the step-by-step process.
How To Paint Clouds With Acrylic Paint
What’s not to love about an ombre skyline with pillowy clouds. And no, it doesn’t take forever to recreate. Learn how over on Feeling Nifty.
DIY Colorful Fabric Paint Canvas
You can mix and match wall art so that you aren’t stuck with just one canvas marterpiece. Hello Wonderful does a great job at this by showing you how you can coordinate three smaller canvases by using the same colors on each with different designs. A pretty gorgeous creation in our book.
DIY Letter Art Canvas
Letter art is another classic way to decorate your walls that can pack meaning in it. If you add letters to your diy canvas art they can turn out pretty nice and decorative, like these from Homemade Ginger!
DIY Gold Leaf Splatter Paint
It’s pretty safe to say gold goes great with everything. And this gold leaf splatter painting idea totally proves it. Add a little color and original artwork to your space with this easy DIY. Learn the step by step process on Lovely Indeed.
DIY Abstract Canvas Painting
This piece of wall art literally looks like it was painted by Monet himself. But nope. It’s a simple DIY piece made right at home, and you can create the same thing with a few paints, a canvas, and a paint brush! It would go great with some mid-century home decor for sure!
DIY Watercolor Art
When it comes to wall art there’s plenty of space for watercolor canvas paintings. They’re so easy to make and there is an endless amount of ideas that you can bring to life with some simple watercolor paints. Learn to create these wall clipboards to decorate your home office!
Paint Swatch Art DIY
DIY Gold Abstract Art
Add a little (or lots) of gold to your homemade wall art and watch your space instantly light up with sparkle. You can learn the complete step-by-step on how to create this gorgeous piece of wall art over at Lolly Jane. It can even make a great gift idea!
Landscape Canvas Art
How To Paint A Pineapple
Pineapples aren’t just great for eating they’re great on just about anything else too! Creating some pineapple wall art can add a tropical touch to your decor and makes for some great wall art that isn’t too hard to create at all!
DIY Patterned Canvas Wall Art
Creating patterned wall art is another way to create something worth showing off that doesn’t require tons of artistic skills. This DIY patterned wall art uses some awesome metallic paint that makes it shine and stand out!
DIY Herringbone Canvas Art
This vintage looking piece is very geometrical and very easy to make. It requires almost no artistic skills and you simply need a few materials such as masking tape, paints, and a good size canvas.
Indoor Plants Painting
DIY Abstract Triangle Art
This framed wall art adds some easy sophistication to just about any room. We love how the frame matches the triangles inside which makes it look a lot more high end than it really is! It’s an easy painting idea that looks both gorgeous and unique.
DIY Gold Painted Canvas
Going off the gold and copper look, here is another cool gold wall art idea that you can add to your apartment. It’s probably one of the easiest wall art ideas in this list and cost very little to create. Once you make it, you can keep it and use it over and over.
DIY Easy Paint Swatch Wall Art
Ever heard of paint swatch wall art? It’s as hard as taking a blank canvas, taking your favorite paint swatches, and gluing them together in your favorite order. Pretty easy, huh?
DIY Layered Abstract Wall Art
Sarah Hearts is hands down one of my favorite DIY bloggers because anything and everything she comes up with is just gorgeous. When I came across this easy canvas painting idea I couldn’t not feature it. Get the lowdown over on her blog (and download some free wallpapers while you’re at it!)
DIY Paint Chip Canvas Art
Here’s another nifty paint chip idea. Wall art doesn’t have to be fancy or be full of little details. Something as simple as a canvas with a paint chip theme can bring some cheery brightness to any room in the house.
DIY Birch Tree Wall Art
Birch trees are so beautiful and they make an awesome idea to paint on canvas! They look super chic with a light blue background and the hint of gold in the middle. Head over to Persia Lou to learn exactly how to create this wall art beauty!
DIY Watercolor On Canvas Wall Art
If you want something REALLY bright and cheery then try this DIY Watercolor painting project that’ll make you proud you created it yourself. You can get the full step-by-step directions on how to paint it over at Violet Tinder.
DIY Pixel Wall Art
Pixel wall art is another chic wall art idea that you have to try at some point. What makes it so easy to create is the geometric triangles in it. It’s almost like a paint by numbers project once you get the basics down. Get the full run down over at The Bold Adobe.
DIY Ombre Art Canvas
Ombre art is so IN right now and this DIY wall art piece is no different. The best part is that you can create it with literally any colors you want to make sure it matches your decor. Or better yet, if you want to get extra nifty, you can mix a couple of colors together!
DIY Gold Leaf Wall Art
While it looks like it would take you ages to complete this piece of wall art, its actually pretty practical to put together. Some of the inexpensive materials you’ll need for this project are Elmer’s glue, paints, and a canvas size of your choosing.
DIY Black And White Wall Art
ViaHomey Oh My
Any black and white wall art will literally never go out of style. Luckily you can make your own right at home! This wall art can give a chic and laid back look to the room you’re trying to decorate and adds some fun and texture to any wall arrangement. Try it out over at Homey Oh My!
DIY Pink Abstract Wall Art
Need to add a splach of some nuch needed pink in your life? Try this DIY wall art piece! The combination of white, gold, and pink together makes it so easy on the eyes!
DIY Watercolor Cactus Wall Art
Creating this framed wall art cactus masterpiece is much easier than you might first think. A watercolor painting can be a great way to relax and let your creativity out. And watercolors don’t cost much at all. Get the full tutorial for this beautiful wall art over at Ink Struck.
DIY Watercolor Bubbles Canvas Art
This bubble wall art is simply too creative and lively not to try. Its a pretty way to add a splash of color to whatever you’re working on and the bubbles add a nice touch to the paint. Try this easy DIY wall art for some fun!
DIY Brush Strokes Wall Art
can you tell these are just wide brush strokes on a blank canvas? It looks like its some expensive painting you pick up at a thrift store. Turns out you can create it right at home and in very little time. Change up the colors to match your decor and you’ve got yourself a masterpiece. Try out the full directions with Remodelaholic.
DIY Abstract Artwork
ViaFall For DIY
Abstract art is one of the easiest canvas painting ideas out there to get your DIY on because it doesn’t particularly have to look like anything. You can usecomplimentary colorsto create something amazing. Just make sure they go well with the rest of the decor in your space.
Printable Paint By Numbers
You can count on Damask Love to come up with the most beautiful DIY ideas and this one is no different. A paint by numbers printable is an easy painting idea that looks like you created it from scratch. Get the printable on the site, pick up some paints, and start coloring.
Related:Check out more DIY projects here!
The beauty about painting on canvases is that you don’t have to use only paints. You can use ink too! This awesome tutorial over on Crafts Unleashed shows you how to create an easy DIY using a canvas and come ink.
A step by step paintingtechnique
Sometimes you need a few pointers on how to nail you painting technique. The tutorial over on step by step painting teaches you new ways to use different kinds of brushes to ensure you create an art piece with all kinds of different colors you’ll be proud of. Sometimes it takes trying out a few creative ideas before landing on a painting technique you enjoy.
One of the easiest ways to create an art piece is to try out acrylic pouring. With a few pointers you can find on My Modern Met, you can create an acrylic canvasartpiece that can brighten up your living room.
Herringbone wall art
Hands down, this is a gorgeous herringbone wall art idea that, if you ask me, is pretty good at standing the test of time if done right. Once you head over and look at the tutorial, at first glance you might think you need a stencil to make it work. But really all you need is painter’s tape, some acrylics, and a canvas in your preferred size to create some fine art, if I do say so myself.
Love ’em or hate ’em, quote wall art doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Plus, it’s pretty easy art to create, kind of like monogram art. Modge Podge has a great tutorial on how to create a quote canvas you can proudly display in your living room.
Mandala DIY art
Another great canvas art idea worth trying? DIY mandala art! This particular tutorial teaches you how to create awesome wall art with a sharpie and no canvas. That’s right, you can take your creativity off the confines of a canvas and paint on your wall, if you dare. Check out the beautiful tutorial over on Pink Chai Living.
Chevron painting tutorial
Sometimes it’s easy to mix up chevron wall art and herringbone wall art because they look really similar. But Chevron does have it’s own quirks, and you can totally use it as a beginner painter tutorial to sharpen your skills. Instructables has a detailed step by step guide on how.
Cherry blossom canvas art
A home decor favorite that’s pretty popular is creating cherry blossom wall art. Now, this might be more of an advanced wall art idea for people that have experience with watercolor, oil painting, acrylic paint, that have developed a painting technique, and that might not need a ton of tutorials.
Still, no matter what your painting proficiency, you can try it out and get plenty of inspiration from the cherry blossom canvas art you’ll find on Etsy. Or hey, you can also buy the finished product and start an art collection. Totally your call. There are no rules in the art world!
Though abstract flowers look like they’d be incredibly hard to create because of how elegant the outcome turns out, they’re actually easier to paint than you might think. Not to mention, they challenge you to take your painting skills a step above creating the same heart painting and makes you discover something new. The Cheerful Space has a great tutorial on abstract flowers worth checking out.
More easypainting ideas for beginners
- Create a basic landscape with basic shapes
- Divide your canvas into squares and paint them in with your favorite colors
- Paint one side of your favorite leaf and use it as a print making stamp on a blank canvas
- Get free paint chips from from your local paint store, cut them into irregular shapes, and glue them at random on a solid background
- Create “abstract” art by using your favorite brush to create random strokes
- Print out a picture of your favorite cartoon, trace it onto a blank canvas, and then color in the lines
- Repaint over the top of an old picture with new colors and frame it
- Use two canvases to create two paintings that go well together for a decorative piece you can place in your living room.
- Paint a basic flower pattern with vibrant colors
- Create a rainbow paint swatch on a white background
- Use a coloring pages as a tracing/painting inspiration
- Findmore canvas painting ideas and inspiration here
- You can also find moreacrylicpainting ideas for beginners here
Painting tips for beginners
Here are some common questions that’ll inevitably pop up if it’s your first time painting a canvas at home. Like I like to say, there are no hard and fast rules for anything relating to art. You don’t have to “wait until you’re ready.” My best advice would be to just start. With enough tutorials and step by step practice under your belt, you’ll really start loving your results. Now, onto the tips:
What canvas is best for beginners?
While you could buystretched canvas. It tends to be a bit pricey. If you’re a beginner, it’s a great idea to start withmedium-sized canvas panels. That way you start your DIY painting hobby on a budget, and you don’t overspend while you practice your painting skills.
Should you paint a canvas white first?
You don’t really have to paint a canvas white if you’re a beginner. That’s a more advanced strategy painters use to get a certain effect. Here’s a helpful guide toread a bit more about it.
How to reuse an old canvas
If you’ve used a canvas and didn’t like how the painting turned out, you can simply paint a few layers of white paint over it and start over!
What is the easiest paint to use on a canvas?
The easiest and most affordable paint to start with as a beginner painter are acrylic paints. You can move on to oil paints and gouache once you’re a bit more comfortable with your painting skills. But in the end, there are honestly no hard and fast rules. It’s just that acrylic paints tend to be more affordable.
What should a beginner paint?
I remember as a beginner painter, I started painting basic shapes and landscapes. This helped me get a feel for the brushes and how they shaped the paint on the canvas.
Hopefully the canvas painting ideas for beginners on this list helped you brainstorm a few easy ideas you can recreate at home. Whatever you do though, the real secret to painting creations you love is sticking with it. Getting better little by little over time truly pays off.
You Don’t Have To Be Artistic To Create Beautiful Wall Art
Wall art can be the saving grace to that blank wall in your home that you don’t quite know what to do with. Whether you’re aiming for some framed wall art, metal wall art, or kitchen wall art, there’s something out there for all your wall art needs.
Join the conversation and tell us your experience with creating your own DIY wall art! Have you liked it and have you experimented with any designs? Let us know below!
More DIY Ideas
How To Make 3D Stars The Easy Way
DIY Feather Bookmark With Free Template
DIY Washi Tape Terra Cotta Planter
21 Color Palette Ideas For Your Next Home Project
Free Printable Wall Art Quote
41 Gorgeous Lifestyle Blogs You’ll Love
Insights, advice, suggestions, feedback and comments from experts
As an expert and enthusiast, I don't possess personal experiences or beliefs, but I can provide you with information on the concepts used in this article. Let's dive into the various concepts related to canvas painting ideas and wall art.
Canvas Painting Ideas and Wall Art
Canvas painting ideas and wall art offer a creative and affordable way to decorate your living spaces. They allow you to express your personal style and add a unique touch to your home decor. Here are some key concepts related to canvas painting ideas and wall art:
1. Affordable Supplies: Canvas painting doesn't have to be expensive. You can start with basic supplies such as acrylic paint, canvas boards, paint brushes, painter's tape, and an easel. These supplies are relatively inexpensive and widely available.
2. Reusable and Repaintable: One of the advantages of canvas painting is that it's reusable and repaintable. If you get bored with a previous creation, you can simply paint over it with a layer of white paint and start fresh. This allows you to experiment and try different ideas without the fear of making mistakes.
3. DIY Photo Transfer Art: Photo transfer art is a technique where you transfer a printed image onto a canvas. It can create a unique and personalized piece of wall art. The process may vary, but it usually involves applying a transfer medium to the printed image, placing it on the canvas, and removing the paper to reveal the transferred image.
4. Simple Canvas Painting: Simple canvas painting ideas are great for beginners. They often involve using basic shapes and colors to create visually appealing compositions. You can experiment with different techniques such as layering, blending, and texture creation.
5. Canvas Painting with a Message: Canvas painting can also incorporate meaningful messages or quotes. By combining pastel colors and typography, you can create wall art that not only adds visual interest but also conveys a message or reflects your personality.
6. Ink Art Projects: Ink art projects offer a unique and vibrant way to create wall art. Using ink pens or markers, you can create intricate designs or abstract patterns. The versatility of ink allows you to experiment with different styles and techniques.
7. DIY Flower Print Canvas: Flower prints are timeless and can add a touch of nature to your home decor. By using flower stencils or creating your own floral designs, you can paint beautiful flower prints on canvas. These prints can be colorful or monochromatic, depending on your preference.
8. Easy DIY Wall Art Painted Canvas: This idea involves using multiple canvases to create a cohesive wall art display. By painting each canvas with coordinating colors and designs, you can create a visually appealing arrangement that adds interest to your walls.
9. DIY Abstract Canvas Painting: Abstract art allows for creative freedom and interpretation. With abstract canvas painting, you can experiment with shapes, colors, and textures to create unique and expressive compositions. It's a great way to explore your artistic style and add a contemporary touch to your decor.
10. DIY Watercolor Art: Watercolor painting is a versatile technique that can create soft, translucent effects. It's a popular choice for creating wall art due to its fluidity and the range of colors available. You can paint landscapes, abstracts, or even simple shapes with watercolors.
11. Painting Tips for Beginners: If you're new to canvas painting, there are a few tips that can help you get started. Starting with medium-sized canvas panels can be more cost-effective than stretched canvases. Acrylic paints are often recommended for beginners due to their affordability and ease of use. You can also find tutorials and step-by-step guides to help you improve your painting technique.
12. Reusing Old Canvases: If you have old canvases with paintings you're not happy with, you can reuse them by painting over them with a few layers of white paint. This allows you to start fresh and create new artwork without the need for additional canvases.
13. Choosing the Right Canvas: Canvas panels are a popular choice for beginners due to their affordability. However, if you prefer stretched canvases, consider the size and quality of the canvas. Larger canvases provide more space for creativity, while higher-quality canvases offer better durability.
14. Personalizing Wall Art: Wall art doesn't have to be limited to paintings. You can personalize your wall art by incorporating elements such as quotes, patterns, or monograms. This allows you to create unique and meaningful pieces that reflect your style and interests.
These are just some of the concepts and ideas related to canvas painting and wall art. The possibilities are endless, and you can explore different techniques, styles, and themes to create your own unique pieces of art. Remember to have fun and let your creativity guide you!